Elwell Ferry – No Ferry
Originating from Johnson’s Corner, the Elwell Ferry ride meanders through beautiful Pender County country side. Recently, the Ferry across the Cape Fear River closed eliminating the 60 mile version of the ride and making the most popular length of about 51 miles. Riders familiar with area routinely shorten or lengthen the route as seen fit.
Ride Instructions & Rules:
- This ride is conducted under the Cape Fear Cyclists COVID ride rules, please review prior to the ride and follow them
- Please sign the new CFC liability waiver and bring it to the ride.
- If you need a ride map, please print out the ride map and bring it to the ride.
- Please arrive to the ride start location at least 15 minutes prior to the ride start time.
- Please visit www.capefearcyclists.org and review CFC ride policies.
- If the forecast includes temperatures below 38 F, wind chill down to 32 F, or rain/wet roads at start time, the ride will be cancelled.
- We currently use the SLACK app to provide up-to-the-minute ride changes and weather info. CLICK HERE to get started. https://capefearcyclists.slack.com
- Monitor the CFC Slack channel “Saturday-am-ride-schedule” before the ride for last minute ride information or cancelation.
Parking is available at the store located at Johnson’s corner. Please adhere to parking zones so that trucks are able to access fuel tanks. The following link shows parking locations. Johnson's Corner Parking Map
The ride offers opportunity for various pace groups. A Group (fast) riders typically average +18 mph. B Group (strong) riders typically average 16-17 mph. C Group (moderate) riders average 14-15 mph. If the ride allows there will be a D Group (leisurely) average below 14 mph with a no drop policy. Because rider safety is the top priority, the ride leader will discuss pace groups in advance of the ride.
- Q-Sheet: Elwell Ferry Route
- GPX: Elwell No Ferry Elwell_no_ferry_37.gpx elwell_no_ferry_46.gpx
- TCX: Elwell No Ferry ElwellNoFerry37.tcx ElwellNoFerry46.tcx
First time riders are welcome. If you enjoy the experience, pick up a membership from at your local bike shop or visit www.capefearcyclists.org for instructions on joining the club. Membership not only supports the club and cycling advocacy, it extends insurance coverage to you on club rides.