Cape Fear Cyclists has been caring for a section of River Road as part of NCDOT’s Adopt-A-Highway program since 1988. Of all the participants in NCDOT’s Adopt-A-Highway program, Cape Fear Cyclists are one of the longest serving organizations participating in the program. It’s fitting that Cape Fear Cyclists take care of a portion of River Road given the popularity of this route to cyclists throughout Southeastern North Carolina.
We meet at River Road Park (about ½ mile south of the intersection of River Road and Sanders Road) and pick-up litter for about one hour. All materials (collection bags, gloves, safety jackets, etc.) will be supplied. Following litter pick-up, there will be a bicycle ride to Carolina Beach and, for those so inclined, to the Fort Fischer Ferry. The ride starts and finishes at River Road Park. Depending on rider preference, the ride length can vary from 30 to 35 miles.
In the past, refreshments and prizes were awarded following litter pickup. In the interest of getting the ride portion of this event started promptly after the litter pick-up, the CFC Board of Directors has decided to discontinue the refreshments and award of prizes. Instead, trail bars will be provided to consume before and during the ride.
Ride Instructions & Rules:
- This ride is conducted under the Cape Fear Cyclists COVID ride rules, please review prior to the ride and follow them
- Please sign the new CFC liability waiver and bring it to the ride.
- If you need a ride map, please print out the ride map and bring it to the ride.
- Please arrive to the ride start location at least 15 minutes prior to the ride start time.
- Please visit www.capefearcyclists.org and review CFC ride policies.
- If the temperature at start time is below 32 degrees or there is steady rain, the ride will be canceled.
- We currently use the SLACK app to provide up-to-the-minute ride changes and weather info. CLICK HERE to get started. https://capefearcyclists.slack.com
- Monitor the CFC Slack channel “Saturday-am-ride-schedule” before the ride for last minute ride information or cancelation.
Parking is availabe at River Road Park located at 6500 River Road.
The ride offers opportunity for various pace groups. A Group (fast) riders typically average +18 mph. B Group (strong) riders typically average 16-17 mph. C Group (moderate) riders average 14-15 mph. If the ride allows there will be a D Group (leisurely) average below 14 mph with a no drop policy. Because rider safety is the top priority, the ride leader will discuss pace groups in advance of the ride.
The post pick up ride varies depending upon the groups preference but is typically and out and back ride from River Road Park to the Ft. Fisher boat ramp or ferry terminal.
First time riders are welcome. If you enjoy the experience, pick up a membership from at your local bike shop or visit www.capefearcyclists.org for instructions on joining the club. Membership not only supports the club and cycling advocacy, it extends insurance coverage to you on club rides.