Shaw Highway – Maple Hill
This ride originates near Rocky Point, NC and meanders through the country side of Southeastern, NC. The ride is an “out and back” ride which offers riders various ride distance options. Riders who ride the full distance to Maple Hill and back will ride 54 miles. An alternate route offers 40 miles.
Ride Instructions & Rules:
- This ride is conducted under the Cape Fear Cyclists COVID ride rules, please review prior to the ride and follow them
- Please sign the new CFC liability waiver and bring it to the ride.
- If you need a ride map, please print out the ride map and bring it to the ride.
- Please arrive to the ride start location at least 15 minutes prior to the ride start time.
- Please visit www.capefearcyclists.org and review CFC ride policies.
- If the temperature at start time is below 32 degrees or there is steady rain, the ride will be canceled.
- We currently use the SLACK app to provide up-to-the-minute ride changes and weather info. CLICK HERE to get started. https://capefearcyclists.slack.com
- Monitor the CFC Slack channel “Saturday-am-ride-schedule” before the ride for last minute ride information or cancelation.
Meet and park at the Food Lion Grocery Store off 117/210 behind the Freshway Food Mart and Hardee’s.
The ride offers opportunity for various pace groups. A Group (fast) riders typically average +18 mph. B Group (strong) riders typically average 16-17 mph. C Group (moderate) riders average 14-15 mph. If the ride allows there will be a D Group (leisurely) average below 14 mph with a no drop policy. Because rider safety is the top priority, the ride leader will discuss pace groups in advance of the ride.
- Q-Sheet: Shaw Highway - Maple Hill (new)
- GPX: Shaw Highway - Maple Hill 54 Shaw Highway - Maple Hill 40
- TCX: Shaw Highway - Maple Hill 54 Shaw Highway - Maple Hill 40
Historically there is a store stop rest option near the 23 mile mark. Riders are encouraged to be prepared with sufficient water/liquids and nutrition in the event the store stop location is not open.
First time riders are welcome. If you enjoy the experience, pick up a membership from at your local bike shop or visit www.capefearcyclists.org for instructions on joining the club. Membership not only supports the club and cycling advocacy, it extends insurance coverage to you on club rides.