Ride with the Bear
Ad-Hoc and Alternate Ride
Ride Description :
Ever ride with a Bear? If so, you know that Bear’s can be unpredictable. They don’t normally know what they want to do or when they want to do it until the last minute BUT, once they decide, they are ready and roaring to go. So, if you are able to catch up with The Bear, you are in for an interesting and fun ride!
So, what can you expect? The Bear’s ride could be a mountain bike ride, fat tire bike ride, or road bike ride. Normally the ride is on Saturday or Sunday and sometimes both days. The start time is always determined by The Bear but usually it’s morning in the summer and afternoons in the cooler months. Rides are generally “in-town” and originate from the UNCW campus. Pace and distance vary (pending on the group makeup) and the ride is a “no drop” ride. Occasionally the Bear puts together some out of Town rides too.
How do you find out what The Bear’s up to? There’s only one way to find out and that’s through the Clubs Slack Channel. Once connected to Slack, carefully monitor the ad-hoc-and-alternative-ride-schedule channel. This is the only way to know if The Bear is going to ride or remain in hibernation.
Ride Instructions & Rules:
- This ride is conducted under the Cape Fear Cyclists COVID ride rules, please review prior to the ride and follow them
- Please sign the new CFC liability waiver and bring it to the ride.
- Please arrive to the ride start location at least 15 minutes prior to the ride start time.
- Please visit www.capefearcyclists.org and review CFC ride policies.
- If the forecast includes temperatures below 38 F, wind chill down to 32 F, or rain/wet roads at the start time, the ride will be cancelled. (Monitor the Slack – ad-hoc channel)
- We currently use the SLACK app to provide up-to-the-minute ride changes and weather info. CLICK HERE to get started. https://capefearcyclists.slack.com
- Monitor the CFC Slack channel “ad-hoc-and-alternate-ride-schedule” before the ride for last minute ride information or cancelation.
The ride originates from the parking lot adjacent to the UNCW Tennis courts and across the street from the UNCW Track.
This is a no-drop ride that accommodates all paces but is geared towards the casual rider. (15 mph minimum pace capability for Road Rides)
- None needed. The ride is never the same.
First time riders are welcome (15 mph minimum pace capability for Road Rides). If you enjoy the experience, pick up a membership from at your local bike shop or visit www.capefearcyclists.org for instructions on joining the club. Membership not only supports the club and cycling advocacy, it extends insurance coverage to you on club rides