Pay the Ferryman Ride
If you live in SE North Carolina you know about our Ferry’s AND if you’ve been with the club for a while, you are probably aware that we have a “Cheat the Ferryman” ride (Ft. Fisher to Baldhead Island). But, sometimes paying the Ferryman is well worth it and that’s the case with the Pay the Ferryman Ride.
Originating from the Carolina Beach Food Lion, riders make their way to the ferry at Ft. Fisher where they will board the 10:45 am ferry to the lovely town of Southport. Once riders arrive in Southport, they will make their way to Smokehouse BBQ for lunch. Following lunch, riders will travel around the Southport area enjoying the ride and sights. Depending upon the ride in the Southport area, riders will catch the return ferry to Ft. Fischer at 2:30 pm or 3:15 pm and then ride back to the Food Lion where the ride will end.
Don’t forget to bring lunch money and money for the Ferryman - $4 each way. Road bikes are recommended.
Ride Instructions & Rules:
- This ride is conducted under the Cape Fear Cyclists COVID ride rules, please review prior to the ride and follow them
- Please sign the new CFC liability waiver and bring it to the ride.
- If you need a ride map, please print out the ride map and bring it to the ride.
- Please arrive to the ride start location at least 15 minutes prior to the ride start time.
- Please visit www.capefearcyclists.org and review CFC ride policies.
- If the forecast includes temperatures below 38 F, wind chill down to 32 F, or rain/wet roads at the start time, the ride will be cancelled.
- We currently use the SLACK app to provide up-to-the-minute ride changes and weather info. CLICK HERE to get started. https://capefearcyclists.slack.com
- Monitor the CFC Slack channel “ad-hoc-and-alternative-ride-schedule” before the ride for last minute ride information or cancelation.
Parking is available in the Carolina Beach Food Lion parking lot.
The ride leader will determine the ride pace but in general, the ride will accommodate riders of all speed levels. This is a no drop ride.
- This ride is “ad-hoc” and does not have a specific ride map.
First time riders are welcome. If you enjoy the experience, pick up a membership from at your local bike shop or visit www.capefearcyclists.org for instructions on joining the club. Membership not only supports the club and cycling advocacy, it extends insurance coverage to you on club rides.