Long Leaf Park to Wrightsville Beach
Ride Description: The ride originates from Long Leaf Park and heads through Wilmington to Wrightsville Beach. The base route is 34 miles but can vary based on ride leader and group preferences. Once at Wrightsville Beach we will typically loop the island twice with a coffee stop in between. Occasionally we will vary the route, such as adding Middle Sound Loop or through Landfall. This is a group ride, so riders must be comfortable with riding in a group and in a paceline at speeds described in the "Ride Pace" selection below. If the group is big enough, we will separate into two groups. We will regroup at various locations, so that no one is left behind.
Ride Instructions & Rules:
- A copy of the CFC liability waiver will be available for you to sign at the ride.
- If you need a ride map, please print out the ride map and bring it to the ride.
- Please arrive to the ride start location at least 15 minutes prior to the ride start time.
- Please visit www.capefearcyclists.org and review CFC ride policies.
- Slack should be consulted before each ride to verify ride status. Otherwise expect rain or excessively wet roads and wind chills in the 30s will lead to ride cancellation.
- We currently use the SLACK app to provide up-to-the-minute ride changes and weather info. CLICK HERE to get started. https://capefearcyclists.slack.com
- Monitor the CFC Slack channel “Tuesday-am-ride-schedule” before the ride for last minute ride information or cancelation.
Parking is available at Long Leaf Park.
The ride is generally considered a "B" paced ride. Riders should be comfortable with maintaining a 16 to 18 mph pace to and from Wrightsville Beach. Typically the group remains together on the journey to Wrightsville Beach. Once at Wrightsville Beach, riders tend to separate into various pace groups with faster, more spirited sprints to the North and South ends of the island. We will briefly regroup at each end of the island. Riders typically regroup and remain together on the return trip to Long Leaf Park.
Cape Fear Cyclists uses Ride with GPS for it's Ride Maps. The club Page can be found here: CFC Ride with GPS
The ride map for this ride is located here: Longleaf Park to Wrightsville Beach
First time riders are welcome. If you enjoy the experience, pick up a membership from at your local bike shop or visit www.capefearcyclists.org for instructions on joining the club. Membership not only supports the club and cycling advocacy, it extends insurance coverage to you on club rides.